This Week in Georgia Beer | Jan. 27 – Feb 2, 2017
This Week on Beer Guys Radio
We’re on the road at the Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting talking with Georgia’s upcoming breweries! We say it all the time, but this show is jam-packed with awesomeness. We talk with former Stone Brewmaster Mitch Steele and his business partners Carey Falcone and Bob Powers about their brewpub coming to Atlanta’s Beltline. Next, Owen Ogletree talks with us about ACAT and cask ales as well as some other events he’s got coming up. Matt and Lauren Curling tell us about the plans for their brewery, Variant Brewing, coming to Roswell and Ryan Skinner and Todd Dimatteo share some info on Good Word Brewing, coming to Duluth. Podcast Extra! We ran out of time to include this on the radio show but check out the podcast for an extended cut and interviews with UK beer writer and beer judge Des de Moor and Chicago beer writer and cask ale assessor Steve Hamburg who give us their thoughts on cask ales.
Next week we’re talking cider with Mercier Orchards. Tony Jones and Ian Flom join us in the studio that talk all things cider. They share the history of cider in America and in North Georgia, info on their farm and all their ciders (more than just apple), what a visit to their farm and tasting room entails, and the differences in brewing beer, wine, and cider. We also talk with Nancy Palmer of the Georgia Craft Brewers Guild about the new Beer Bill, SB85 and Matt Leff joins us to share some info in Nuit Belge.
Listen to Beer Guys Radio every Saturday in Atlanta at 1:00 PM Eastern on AM 920 or Sunday at 6:00 AM on Biz 1190. If you’re in Alabama you can catch the show live at 1:00 PM Central on 92.9 FM / 1450 AM in Huntsville or 94.7 FM / 1490 AM in Decatur We’re also streaming live on our website, iHeartRadio, or TuneIn. Can’t catch the live show? That’s cool, we’ve got you covered. All past shows are available on-demand on our site or your favorite podcasting app.
GEORGIA BEER EVENTS
Check out our Beer Events Calendar for a full list of what’s happening across Georgia and Alabama.
Saturday | January 28th
- GEORGIA BEER DAY – SUPPORT THE GEORGIA CRAFT BREWERS GUILD | Events all across Georgia, click for full event list.
- Barrel-aged Barleywines Bottle Release | 12:00 – 10:00 PM | Slice & Pint (Atlanta)
- Blanket & Coat Drive | 1:00 – 6:00 PM | Arches Brewing (Hapeville)
- Gem City Classic Launch Party | 2:00 – 6:00 PM | Red Hare (Marietta)
Sunday | January 29th
- Sunday Funday | 12:30 – 10:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
Tuesday | January 3oth
- CHOA The Zone Fundraiser | 5:00 – 8:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
Wednesday | February 1st
- One-Off Wednesday | 5:00 – 8:00 PM | Red Brick (Atlanta)
- Flight Club Member Dinner | 6:30 – 9:00 PM | Chicken and the Egg (Marietta)
- Team Trivia | 8:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
Thursday | February 2nd
- Steady Hand Beer Launch | 6:00 PM | Argosy (Atlanta)
- Pi(e)nt Night | 6:00 – 10:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
Next Saturday is the DBA Helm’s Deep Release at Three Taverns and Your Pie Perimeter’s 2nd Anniversary.
Georgia Craft Beer
- Jekyll Southern Juice cans | IPA
- Red Hare Gem City Classic | Light Lager
- Slice & Pint DiVine BA Barleywine | Barrel-aged Barleywine (Brewpub release on 01/28)
- Slice & Pint High Spirits Whiskey BA Barleywine | Barrel-aged Barleywine (Brewpub release on 01/28)
Future / Planned Georgia Releases
- Second Self AT aLe | Pale Ale (Feb. 5th)
- SweetWater Grass Monkey | Hoppy Wheat Ale with Lemongrass (Early February. We’ve sampled this and it’s really good, pair it with some lemon pepper wings or lemon pound cake. Boom.)
Non-Georgia Craft Beer
- Blackberry Farms Quad | Quadrupel
- Burial Hawkbill | IPA
- Cigar City White Oak Jai Alai | IPA aged on white oak
- Founders Frootwood | Cherry Ale aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels
- Heavy Seas Siren Noire | Bourbon barrel-aged Imperial Stout with chocolate
- Port Hop Freshener Tropical & Juicy | IPA
- Stone Tangerine Express IPA | IPA with tangerine and pineapple
- Stone / Marble / Odell Megawheat | DIPA
- Weyerbacjer Sunday Morning Stout | Bourbon barrel-aged Stout with Coffee