This Week in Georgia Beer | July 14-20, 2017
This Week on Beer Guys Radio
We’re talking with Avondale Brewing! Nate Darnell, Head Brewer and Distiller for Birmingham’s Avondale Brewing joined us in the studio this week to chat about what’s changing and Alabama beer and the reception from the locals to their new sour beers from their Barrel Works, distilling spirits, beer drinking animals, and ghosts. Will sampled several of their sour beers from clean kettle-soured ales to the complex Blend 1, 2, and 3. If you haven’t visited Avondale yet put them on your list.
Next week we’re talking Beer History and Breweriana! Ken Jones is one of Atlanta’s foremost authorities on beer history as well as brewery collectibles. He’s also a board member of the Brewery Collectibles Club of America and has an extensive personal collection. We’ll also be joined by Lee Dickson as we discuss pre-Prohibition collectibles, breweries that survived Prohibition, the return to canned beer, swap meets, and the upcoming Atlanta Brewery Collectibles Show.
Listen to Beer Guys Radio every Saturday in Atlanta at 1:00 PM Eastern on AM 920 or Sunday at 6:00 AM on Biz 1190. If you’re in Alabama you can catch the show live at 1:00 PM Central on 92.9 FM / 1450 AM in Huntsville or 94.7 FM / 1490 AM in Decatur We’re also streaming live on our website, iHeartRadio, or TuneIn. Can’t catch the live show? That’s cool, we’ve got you covered. All past shows are available on-demand on our site or your favorite podcasting app.
GEORGIA BEER EVENTS
Check out our Beer Events Calendar for a full list of what’s happening across Georgia and Alabama.
Friday | July 14th
- Downtown Newnan Summer Bar Crawl | 6:00 – 11:00 PM | Downtown Newnan (Newnan)
Saturday | July 15th
- Snellville Summits Bi-Annual Passport Appreciation Breakfast | 9:00 – 11:00 AM | Summits (Snellville)
- Three Taverns Brettanicus Bottle Release | 1:00 PM | Three Taverns (Decatur)
- 6th Annual Luau & Pig Roast | 2:00 – 6:00 PM | Red Hare (Marietta)
- Creature Comforts Beer Dinner | 6:00 – 10:00 PM | Chris’ Caribbean Bistro (Smyrna)
- Let’s Get Saucey: Southbound Brewing Co. Wing Sauce Competition | 6:00 – 9:00 PM | Southbound Brewing (Savannah)
Sunday | July 16th
- Sunday Funday | 12:30 – 10:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
- Big Band Lunch & Brunch | 1:00 – 4:00 PM | 5 Seasons Prado (Sandy Springs)
- SweetWater Brewing and Gink and Gasoline Present April Vokey | 6:00 – 9:00 PM | SweetWater (Atlanta)
Monday | July 17th
- Belgian Beer Week | 11:00 AM | The Wing (Marietta) | Through 07/22
- Service Industry Appreciation Night | 5:00 – 10:00 PM | Creature Comforts (Athens)
- Sushi Rolling Class | 6:00 – 8:00 PM | Second Self (Atlanta)
Wednesday | July 19th
- One-Off Wednesday | 5:00 – 8:00 PM | Red Brick (Atlanta)
- Free Beer Tasting w/ Atwater Brewery | 5:30 – 7:30 PM | Hop City Westside (Atlanta)
- Team Trivia | 8:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
Thursday | July 20th
- Local Pint Night | 4:00 PM | Craft Public House (Athens)
- Christmas in July Weekend | 5:00 – 8:00 PM | GA Chapter Room (Sandy Springs) – Event says “weekend” but hours just show Thursday, check with GACR for details.
- Marty Manous in Concert | 6:00 – 9:00 PM | Gate City (Roswell)
- Pi(e)nt Night | 6:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
- Pups and Pints with PAWS Atlanta | 6:00 – 9:00 PM | Wild Heaven (Decatur)
Next weekend hit up Max Lager’s for the Old 320 Beer Festival, get your yoga on at Printer’s Ale Mfg., celebrate in Savannah with Service Brewing’s 3rd anniversary party, help Terrapin raise some funds for Wild Intelligence for a better Earth, or join the Brew & Crew crew at The Dillard House.
Beers marked with a * are from breweries owned by AB Inbev, MillerCoors, or other “Big Beer” corporations.
Georgia Craft Beer
- Red Brick Boysenberry Berliner Weisse | Berliner Weisse with boysenberries
- *Terrapin Soul Czech | Pilsner with honeydew and passion fruit
- Three Taverns Brettanicus | 100% Brett Fermented Farmhouse Ale aged in red wine barrels
- Three Taverns La Piña Gose | Pineapple Gose
- Fannin Cherry Mitten | Cherry Beer with cherries and maple syrup
- Southern Brewing Co. Maui IPA | New Zealand Style IPA
Non-Local Craft Beer Releases
- *Breckenridge Nitro Orange Cream Ale | Orange Cream Ale on Nitro
- Cigar City Oatmeal Raisin Cookie cans | Brown ale with raisins, vanilla, and cinnamon
- Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Bourbon Maple Syrup Barrel Aged | Imperial Stout with all that stuff over there in it
- Good People Juco | Southern IPA
- Jolly Pumpkin Baudelaire Ale Absurd | Rye Triple-Ale aged in Chardonnay barrels
- Jolly Pumpkin Fuego del Otoño | American Wild Ale
- Jolly Pumpkin Isla Estraña | Farmhouse Ale with heritage grains
- Jolly Pumpkin La Vida Improvisciōn | American Wild Ale
- Stone W00tstout | Imperial Stout with pecans, wheat, rye, and partially aged in bourbon barrels
- *Wicked Weed Khatta Masala | Barrel aged mango Golden Sour Ale with spicy cardamom, coriander, black pepper, fenugreek