This Week in Georgia Beer | Aug. 11-17, 2017
This Week on Beer Guys Radio
We’re talking Beer to Ormsby’s and Hampton + Hudson! Michael Goot (Ormsby’s) and Billy Streck (Hampton &+Hudson) join us in the studio and they come bearing snacks and beer. We talk about each locations beer program, the importance of a restaurant having a beer program, and their approach to food and beer. We’ll also share an excerpt of our interview with Dan Shelton of Shelton Bros. Importers where we talk about Shelton Fest, the Westvleteren release and headaches in Georgia, and how Beer Advocate’s article on the brothers and the business missed the mark. We had a great chat with Dan and couldn’t fit it all in the show so be sure to check out our Drink This Beer Podcast for the full story.
Next week we’re talking to Piedmont Brewery & Kitchen! Brian Whitley takes the trek up from Macon to talk with us about his brewpub and the growing beer scene in Macon.
Listen to Beer Guys Radio every Saturday in Atlanta at 1:00 PM Eastern on AM 920 or Sunday at 6:00 AM on Biz 1190. If you’re in Alabama you can catch the show live at 1:00 PM Central on 92.9 FM / 1450 AM in Huntsville or 94.7 FM / 1490 AM in Decatur We’re also streaming live on our website, iHeartRadio, or TuneIn. Can’t catch the live show? That’s cool, we’ve got you covered. All past shows are available on-demand on our site or your favorite podcasting app.
GEORGIA BEER EVENTS
Check out our Beer Events Calendar for a full list of what’s happening across Georgia and Alabama.
Shelton Fest Week! Special events all week leading up to The Festival. Some events don’t have times our links for more info, check with the venue for details.
- Shelton Fest Week – Rolling Tappings | Truck & Tap (Woodstock)
- Shelton Fest / Liberator Events | Full list, will be updated throughout the week.
Friday | August 11th
- Southern Crust Pizza Night at Jekyll | 4:00 – 9:00 PM | Jekyll Brewing (Alpharetta)
- D9 Brewing Launch Party and BBQ | 5:00 – 8:00 PM | Schoolhouse Beer and Brewing (Marietta)
- Trop Summer Music Series | 5:00 – 10:00 PM | Creature Comforts (Athens)
- D9 Brewing POP UP Tap Takeover | 6:00 – 8:00 PM | Lincoln Fill Station (Snellville)
- Date Night: A Sensual Comedy Experience | 8:00 – 10:30 PM | Argosy (Atlanta)
Saturday | August 12th
- My Parents’ Basement 2 Year Anniversary Party | 11:00 AM – 12:00 AM | My Parents’ Basement (Avondale Estates)
- Jekyll’s 4 Year Anniversary | 1:00 – 9:00 PM | Jekyll Brewing (Alpharetta)
- Low Country Boil at Dry County | 2:00 – 8:00 PM | Dry County Brewing (Kennesaw)
Sunday | August 13th
- Super Awesome Freaking K-Town Beer Meet-up for Euro Cars and Stuff | 12:00 – 4:00 PM | Dry County Brewing (Kennesaw)
- Sunday Funday | 12:30 – 10:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
- Eclectic Bazaar at Creature Comforts | 1:00 – 6:00 PM | Creature Comforts (Athens)
Monday | August 14th
- Carolina Bauernhaus Launch | The Porter (Atlanta)
Tuesday | August 15th
- “Ale-B-Q” Beer Dinner with Ale Sharpton | 6:30 – 9:30 PM | Sweet Auburn Barbecue (Atlanta)
- Hi-Wire Brewing Beer Dinner | 7:00 – 8:30 PM | Biltong Bar (Atlanta)
- My Parents Basement vs My Parents Church | 8:00 – 10:00 PM | My Parents’ Basement (Avondale Estates)
- Brewski Mini Tap Takeover | The Porter (Atlanta)
Wednesday | August 16th
- One-Off Wednesday | 5:00 – 8:00 PM | Red Brick (Atlanta)
- ATHxATLxAUSxAVL | 5:30 PM | Staplehouse (Atlanta) | Featuring BBQ from Staplehouse and B’s Cracklin and beer pairings from Creature Comforts, Burial, and Jester King.
- Tacos & Trivia | 5:00 – 9:00 PM | Reformation (Woodstock)
- Shelton Fest Tap Takeover w/ Prairie | 5:30 – 10:00 PM | Hop City Westside (Atlanta)
- Team Trivia | 8:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
- Hourglass Spotlight | My Parents’ Basement (Avondale Estates)
- Green Bench Takeover + Shelton Ciders and Meads | The Porter (Atlanta)
Thursday | August 17th
- Oyster Party with Saisons | 3:00 PM | Kimball House (Decatur)
- Local Pint Night | 4:00 PM | Craft Public House (Athens)
- Sour Power | 5:00 PM | Argosy (Atlanta)
- 12th Labor Bottle Release | 6:00 – 10:00 PM | Orpheus Brewing (Atlanta)
- South Has Something to Say | All Day | Midway Pub (Atlanta) | Featuring a Southeast IPA showcase
- Allagash Brewers Talk – Shelton Fest Special!
- Farmhouse As F**k | The Porter (Atlanta) | Featuring 50 taps of farmhouse ales and saisons
- Burial Brand Spotlight | My Parent’s Basement (Avondale Estates)
Shelton Fest hits Atlanta Friday and Saturday with supporting events throughout the week, Southern Brewing Company celebrates their 2nd Anniversary, gnomes and beer get together for a fundraiser at Southern Brewing Company, and pancakes and beer get together at Ironmonger because they are both awesome.
Beers marked with a * are from breweries owned by AB Inbev, MillerCoors, or other “Big Beer” corporations.
Georgia Craft Beer
- Orpheus 12th Labor bottles | Bourbon BA Imperial Stout
- Southern Brewing Hobnail cans | IPA (Athens area only)
- Southern Brewing Warpig cans | DIPA (Athens are only, very limited)
- Creature Comforts Fulcrum | Pilsner Lager
- Omaha Brewing Orange and Brew | Pilsner-style Ale with orange peels
- Orpheus Dance of the Earth | Wild IPA
- Orpheus Kiss of the Earth | Wild IPA
- Orpheus Noise and Flesh Blackberry | BA Wild Ale with blackberry
- Orpheus Noise and Flesh Dry-hopped | Dry-hopped BA Wild Ale
- Orpheus Noise and Flesh Peach | BA Wild Ale with peach
- Orpheus Procession of the Ancients | Wild DIPA with passion fruit
- Orpheus Silent Haze | IPA
- Red Brick Penguin Pale Ale | Contemporary Pale Ale
- Red Brick Vanilla Gorilla | Imperial Vanilla Porter
- SweetWater Fresh Sticky Nugs | Hazy IPA
- *Terrapin Hammer 58 | Pale Ale
Non-Local Craft Beer Releases
- Lots of first time appearances from beers in the Shelton Bros. portfolio
- Allagash Fluxus | Saison with rhubarb
- Blackberry Farm / Yazoo Peel Your Face | Orange IPA
- Bruery The Order | Abbey Ale with dates and spices
- Bruery Terreux Frucht Lemon and Cherry \ Berliner aged in oak foeders with lemon and cherries
- Bruery Terreux Goses are Red | Gose with coriander and grapes.
- D9 Brown Sugar Brown Cow | Mocha Brown Ale
- D9 Hakuna Matata | Tropical IPA
- D9 Swell Rider | Tangerine Session IPA
- D9 Systema Naturae Elderflower and Cherimoya | American Wild Ale
- D9 Viking | Scottish Sour Ale
- D9 Whiskers on Kittens | Sour Blonde Ale
- *Elysian Dayglow | IPA
- *Golden Road Tart Mango Cart | Mango Wheat Ale
- Stone Enjoy By 09.04.17 | IPA