Sour Beers, Distilling and More with Avondale Brewing
Avondale Brewing is the second-oldest brewery in Birmingham. Housed in a historic building that used to be a fire station, saloon and brothel (which may or may not be haunted), they used their saison to really build Avondale’s brand. From there, they haven’t been still. From opening up Birmingham’s first sour-only facility (the Barrel Works) and distilling, the crew is pushing the boundaries in Alabama. Head brewer Nate Darnell joined the Beer Guys in studio. We talked about his brewing background, the Birmingham beer scene, and the differences between brewing and distilling. Plus, we show love to a beer-drinking elephant named Miss Fancy.
Truck and Tap’s Beers of the Week:
Nate brought a bunch of his sours from The Sour Room at Avondale, including:
- Dry Hopped Réunir, a sour farmhouse IPA
- Blend #1, a blonde barrel aged sour with blueberries, blackberries and boysenberries
- Blend #2 American wild Ale
- Blend #3, mixed fermentation golden sour aged on raspberries
- Göselíma, a lime gose
Headlines (Sponsored by Your Pie Perimeter):
- Cherry Street Grand National Champion in US Open Beer Cup. Other Georgia (and Alabama) breweries rack up awards.
- Interstellar Ginger Beer and Exploration company coming to Alabaster
- Coppertail hosts “beer amnesty” service
- Modern Times sells out…to its employees.
- Drink “Local” with Budweiser state cans.
- World of Beer Kennesaw closed
- Wrecking Bar to start canning beer in Loganville (Wrecking Barn)
Coming up next week, we’re talking brewing history and collectibles. It’s the Breweriana show! Cheers, and DRINK LOCAL.