This Week in Georgia Beer | May 12-18, 2017
This Week on Beer Guys Radio
We’re talking with Torched Hop Brewing! Co-founder Chris Bivins and Brewer Daniel Bluestein joined us in the studio this week to share some of their brews and talk beer. We chat about their move into the brewing world, how a small concept got big, and a beer with a crazy name but a noble mission. Chris also joined us for Beer 101 segment where we talk about the differences in IPA and Double IPA. All this, and MORE, on this week’s episode of Beer Guys Radio.
Next week we’re talking with Printer’s Ale Manufacturing! We’ll have owner and founder Elliott Hall in the studio with us to talk about one of Georgia’s newest breweries. Printer’s Ale Mfg. opened recently in Carrollton, filling in another gap on the Georgia brewery map. We’ll talk about what it took to open the brewery, their outlook on the upcoming law changes, where their name comes from, and we’ll even sample some beers.
Listen to Beer Guys Radio every Saturday in Atlanta at 1:00 PM Eastern on AM 920 or Sunday at 6:00 AM on Biz 1190. If you’re in Alabama you can catch the show live at 1:00 PM Central on 92.9 FM / 1450 AM in Huntsville or 94.7 FM / 1490 AM in Decatur We’re also streaming live on our website, iHeartRadio, or TuneIn. Can’t catch the live show? That’s cool, we’ve got you covered. All past shows are available on-demand on our site or your favorite podcasting app.
GEORGIA BEER EVENTS
Check out our Beer Events Calendar for a full list of what’s happening across Georgia and Alabama.
Friday | May 12th
- Summits 4th Annual Barrel Aged & Sourfest Keg Tapping Event | Through 05/17 | Summit’s (Snellville)
- Ballast Point Tap Takeover | 11:00 AM – 11:00 PM | Truck & Tap (Woodstock)
Saturday | May 13th
- BAMO! 5th Annual Homebrew Competition | 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM | The Marlay House (Decatur)
- A Celebration of Women: Shmaltz She’Brew Tap Takeover | 12:00 – 3:00 PM | The Beer Growler (Avondale Estates)
- Crawfish Boil at CCBC | 1:00 – 6:00 PM | Creature Comforts (Athens)
- Athens Homebrew Classic | 1:30 – 4:30 PM | Jittery Joe’s (Athens)
- Surf & Turf at Dry County | 2:00 – 9:30 PM | Dry County Brewing (Kennesaw)
- Three Year Anniversary Shindig | 6:00 – 11:00 PM | Schoolhouse Beer & Brewing (Marietta)
Sunday | May 14th – Happy Mother’s Day, moms!
- Sunday Funday | 12:30 – 10:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
- Mother’s Day at Second Self | 1:00 – 4:00 PM | Second Self (Atlanta)
- Atlanta United v. Portland Timbers Viewing Party | 3:30 – 7:00 PM | Monday Night Brewing (Atlanta)
Monday | May 15th
- American Craft Beer Week | May 15th – 21st <- Click for more events.
Tuesday | May 16th
- Burial Mini Beer Dinner | 7:00 – 10:00 PM | Porter Beer Bar (Atlanta)
Wednesday | May 17th
- One-Off Wednesday | 5:00 – 8:00 PM | Red Brick (Atlanta)
- Team Trivia | 8:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
Thursday | May the 18th
- Pi(e)nt Night with Southbound | 6:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
Next weekend join Wild Heaven for their 7th anniversary, check out Torched Hop’s Doo Doo Brown beer release, get your run on at the 3T5K, some pork at Twain’s Pig ‘n Pilz, visit the East Atlanta Beer Fest, or the Atlanta Superhero Pub Crawl.
Georgia Craft Beer
- Pontoon Galaxy Drifter | IPA
- Reformation Wilder Black Currant | Strong Ale with black currants
- Torched Hop Doo Doo Brown | Brown Ale (Next Friday)
Future / Planned Georgia Releases
- Creature Comforts Tritonia | Gose with cucumber and lime (Cans in late May, draft a bit earlier.)
- Orpheus Like a White Curtain Blowing in the Draft From a Half-Opened Window Beside a Chair on Which Nobody Sits | Wild Ale aged in wine barrels (3rd Anniversary beer)
- Red Hare Well, Bless Her Tart | Berliner Weisse with strawberries
- Service Battlewagon | DIPA
Non-Local Craft Beer Releases
- Burial The Garden of Earthly Delights | Mixed culture Saison
- Burial The Prayer | Belgian Blonde with apricots
- Cantillon Classic Geuze | Geuze (Probably gone.)
- Cantillon Iris | Unblended Lambic (Also probably gone.)
- Cantillon Lou Pepe | Geuze (This one too.)
- Clown Shoes Pineapple Space Cake | IPA brewed with pineapple
- Fantome La Dalmatienne | Saison
- Fantome Saison | Saison
- Fantome Vertignasse | Saison with spinach juice
- Mikkeller Spontantripleblueberry | Fruit Lambic
- Unknown Rye Felicia | Brett IPA
- Westbrook Mexican Cake | Mexican Imperial Stout (Maybe. Released at brewery so should hit stores soon.)
CRAFT BEER NEWS
- Brewery planned for Turner Field redevelopment (Source: Eater Atlanta)
- AB InBev won’t sell their South African hops to American craft brewers (Source:MarketWatch)
- AB InBev issues statement on the South African hops debacle (Source: Brew Studs)