Twain’s Brewpub and Billiards – Episode 59
Twain’s Brewpub and Billiards has been a staple in Decatur’s bar and nightlife scene for more than two decades.
In that time, they’ve seen the craft beer market change from serving European beers (like Bass, Guinness and Newcastle) and Samuel Adams, to competing with world-class beer bars and three breweries within city limits.
Over that time, Twain’s moved from a beer bar to a brewpub, brewing its own beers. Brothers Ethan and Uri Wurtzel have been there the whole time. We sat down with them to talk about the changes to the Decatur craft scene, and how Twain’s has adjusted with the times.
Recently, they hired award-winning homebrewer, BJCP judge and former chemist Mike Castagno to its head brewer position. Now that he’s settling into his new role (and career), we were able to chat with him about his beers. At Twain’s, he works to make drinkable beers that pair well with bar food. It was a real treat for us (especially Aaron) to have some styles that we don’t really see all that much, including….
Truck and Tap‘s Beers of the Week:
- Twain’s Cereal Keller
- Twain’s IQ Booster West Coast IPA
- Twain’s High Grade English Style Bitter (ESB)
- Twain’s Sam’s Smoked Porter
- We also sampled Southbound’s seasonal Desert Dawn, a Belgian saison with elderberries. Check out our recent interview with Southbound’s head brewer Smith Matthews for more about it.
Headines (Sponsored buy Your Pie Perimeter):
- Here’s the latest on State Bill 85, which would allow (among other things) on-site purchases from breweries.
- Want to know what the status is about breweries in your neck of the woods? We update our list constantly!
- Wish you were beer expands to second shop on Campus 805
- New brewery coming to Campus 805
- Watch this Super Bowl commercial from Synovus, and check out the can of beer in the shot about 12 seconds in. It’s from a Georgia brewery:
Coming up next week, we’ll talk to Marietta’s Ironmonger Brewing. Have a great week, and don’t forget to DRINK LOCAL!
- Are you looking into building your own brewery? CRL Contracting can help!
- Sign up for THIS WEEK IN GEORGIA BEER (in the right column) and get Tim’s great listing of all events and releases for the week…and be entered to win some awesome swag!
- This week’s Project BGR features Jim Matt, Head Brewer from Cincinnati’s Rhinegeist Brewery. Get it wherever you get your podcasts!
- Thanks for listening and supporting the show! If you like what you’re hearing and seeing, consider becoming a patron! Details here.