This Week in Georgia Beer | Feb 10-16, 2017
This Week on Beer Guys Radio
We’re talking with the good folks from Twain’s Brewpub and Billiards. Owner’s Ethan and Uri Wurtzel and Head Brewer Mike Castagno join us in the studio to talk about their brewpub, which recently celebrated 21 years in Decatur. We discuss Mike’s recent move into the pro brewing world from an award-winning homebrewer and career as a chemist, Mike’s philosophy on brewing, the vibe at Twain’s, and a few of the menu items they offer to pair with their beers.
Next week we’re talking with Ironmonger Brewing. Owner David Sheets and Head Brewer Barron Slüder (‘memba Barron?) join us to talk about their little known brewery in Marietta and their plans to get on everyone’s radar.
Listen to Beer Guys Radio every Saturday in Atlanta at 1:00 PM Eastern on AM 920 or Sunday at 6:00 AM on Biz 1190. If you’re in Alabama you can catch the show live at 1:00 PM Central on 92.9 FM / 1450 AM in Huntsville or 94.7 FM / 1490 AM in Decatur We’re also streaming live on our website, iHeartRadio, or TuneIn. Can’t catch the live show? That’s cool, we’ve got you covered. All past shows are available on-demand on our site or your favorite podcasting app.
SB 85 UPDATE: SB 85 has been read by the House Alcohol and Tobacco Subcommittee and is on the calendar for the full Regulated Industries Committee for Tuesday, 02/14. HB 60 has been combined with SB 85 making a joint substitute bill for brewers and distillers. For more info see our full coverage of SB 85 here.
GEORGIA BEER EVENTS
Check out our Beer Events Calendar for a full list of what’s happening across Georgia and Alabama.
Saturday | February 11th
- 5 BA Quinte55ence Bottle Release | 12:00 – 11:00 PM | 5 Seasons Westside (Atlanta)
- Galentine’s Day | 12:00 – 2:00 PM | Wild Heaven (Decatur)
- Athena Paradiso Tart Cherry, Cranberry, and Raspberry Release | 1:00 – 6:00 PM | Creature Comforts (Athens)
- Gate City 2nd Anniversary | 1:00 PM – 12:00 AM | Gate City (Roswell)
- Beer Tasting with The Blaxican Food Truck | 1:00 4:00 PM | Second Self (Atlanta)
- Ain’t That a Peach Launch | 2:00 – 6:00 PM | Red Hare (Marietta)
- Don’t Look Back: Beyond the Zero | 8:00 – 10:00 PM | Orpheus (Atlanta)
Sunday | February 12th
- Sunday Funday | 12:30 – 10:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
Tuesday | February 14th
- His & Hers Beer Dinner with Creature Comforts | 5:00 – 9:00 PM | The Nest (Kennesaw)
- Creature Comforts Valentine’s Day Beer Dinner | 7:00 – 9:00 PM | Venkman’s (Atlanta)
Wednesday | February 15th
- One-Off Wednesday | 5:00 – 8:00 PM | Red Brick (Atlanta)
- Team Trivia | 8:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
Thursday | February 16th
- Monday Night Pi(e)nt Night | 6:00 – 10:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
Next weekend check out an Allagash exclusive tasting at the Kroger (Yes, Kroger.) in Peachtree City, Five Long Years has some live music for you at Jekyll Brewing, SweetWater celebrates 20 years of heady beers, and Three Taverns hosts a beer and whiskey cocktail competition.
Georgia Craft Beer
- Creature Comforts Athena Paradiso Tart Cherry, Raspberry, & Cranberry | Fruited Berliner Weisse
- Orpheus Maenad’s Tripel | Belgian Tripel brewed with wild yeast (Draft and bottles – bottles are brewery only.)
- Southbound Desert Dawn | Tart Saison with Elderberries (See link above for interview with the brewmaster about this beer.)
- Southbound Rollin’ & Tumblin’ | Springtime IPA
- Southern Brewing Co. Muscadine Reserve | Golden Sour Wild Ale with Georgia Muscadines
- Southern Brewing Co. Sour Scuppernong | Foederbier with Scuppernongs aged in oak barrels
- Treehorn El Treeablo | Cider with Habanero, hatch, and jalapeno peppers
Future / Planned Georgia Releases
- Coastal Empire Citrus Breeze | Grapefruit Sour Pale Ale
- Creature Comforts / Condor Chocolate Stout | Chocolate Stout
- Eventide The A | IPA
- Pontoon Galaxy Drifter | West Coast IPA
Non-Georgia Craft Beer
- Ballast Point Nitro Red Velvet | Golden Oatmeal Stout wiht beets and chocolate
- Boulevard American Kölsch | Golden Ale
- Evil Twin Aun Mas Todo Jesus | Imperial Stout with cinnamon, cocoa nobs, chile peppers, and coffee
- Left Hand Hard Wired | Nitro Coffee Porter
- New Holland Hoptronix | DIPA
- Stillwater Gose Gone Wild Phuket | Gose with mango, lemongrass, Thai chiles, and sea salt
- Wicked Weed BA French Toast | BBA Imperial Stout brewed with cinnamon, vanilla, and maple syrup