This Week in Georgia Beer | Feb. 3-9, 2017
This Week on Beer Guys Radio
We’re comparing apples to apples with Mercier Orchards! Tony Jones and Ian Flom join us in the studio to talk all things cider. They share the history of cider in America and in North Georgia, info on their farm and all their ciders and wine (more than just apple), what a visit to their farm and tasting room entails, and the differences in brewing beer, wine, and cider. We also talk with Nancy Palmer of the Georgia Craft Brewers Guild about the Beer Bill, SB85 and Matt Leff joins us to share some info on Nuit Belge.
Next week we’re talking with Twain’s Brewpub! New Head Brewer Mike Castagno will join us in the studio to talk about what’s changed since he’s taking on brewing, as well as what hasn’t. We’ll get a bit geeky with him about brewing and he’ll share what we might see out of the brewpub in the future.
Listen to Beer Guys Radio every Saturday in Atlanta at 1:00 PM Eastern on AM 920 or Sunday at 6:00 AM on Biz 1190. If you’re in Alabama you can catch the show live at 1:00 PM Central on 92.9 FM / 1450 AM in Huntsville or 94.7 FM / 1490 AM in Decatur We’re also streaming live on our website, iHeartRadio, or TuneIn. Can’t catch the live show? That’s cool, we’ve got you covered. All past shows are available on-demand on our site or your favorite podcasting app.
SB85 passed the Georgia Senate 49-2! The bill has to go to the House next, to keep up to date with the progress you can watch this post on our website.
GEORGIA BEER EVENTS
Check out our Beer Events Calendar for a full list of what’s happening across Georgia and Alabama.
Saturday | February 4th
- DBA Helm’s Deep Release | 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM | Three Taverns (Decatur)
- Your Pie Perimeter 2nd Anniversary | 11:00 AM – 10:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
- Rise Up Super Bowl Party | 12:00 – 4:00 PM | Arches Brewing (Hapeville)
- Atlanta Winter Beer Fest | 1:00 – 6:00 PM | Atlantic Station (Atlanta)
- Oyster Roast | 2:00 – 9:30 PM | Dry County Brewing Co. (Kennesaw)
Sunday | February 5th | Super Bowl LI – RISE UP!
- Super Singles, Dubbels, Trippels, & Quads | 12:00 – 11:00 PM | Slice & Pint (Atlanta)
- Super Bowl Celebration with $5.10 Pizzas | 12:30 – 10:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
- Wrecking Bar Closed – No Cinco de Siberius today
Tuesday | February 7th
- Outlier No. 3 Tasting | 7:00 – 9:00 PM | Argosy (Atlanta)
Wednesday | February 8th
- One-Off Wednesday | 5:00 – 8:00 PM | Red Brick (Atlanta)
- An Evening with Allagash and Creature Comforts | 5:30 – 7:30 PM | Hop City KSM (Atlanta)
- Currahee Brewing Beer Dinner | 6:30 – 9:00 PM | Catch 22 Gastrpub (Athens)
Thursday | February 9th
- Pi(e)nt Night | 6:00 – 10:00 PM | Your Pie Perimeter (Atlanta)
- Seven Minutes in [Wild] Heaven | 6:00 – 9:00 PM | Wild heaven (Decatur)
- Steady Hand Beer Launch | 6:00 – 10:00 PM | Truck & Tap (Woodstock)
Friday | February 10th
- Gate City 2nd Anniversary | 5:00 PM | Gate City Brewing (Roswell)
- Monday Night Brewing 2017 Prom | 8:00 – 11:00 PM | Monday Night Brewing (Atlanta)
On Saturday Gate City’s anniversary party continues, 5 Seasons Westside releases 5 different bottles, Red Hare launches Ain’t That a Peach, and Orpheus hosts a concert with Chamber Cartel.
Georgia Craft Beer
- Monday Night Tears of My Enemies | Scotch barrel-aged Milk Stout (Tasting room 02/07, in market ~02/13)
- Second Self ATaLe | Pale Ale (Tasting room on 02/05)
- Three Taverns DBA Helm’s Deep | Imperial Stout aged in bourbon and sherry barrels
- Three Taverns Theophan the Recluse (4 pks) | Russian Imperial Stout
Future / Planned Georgia Releases
- 5 Seasons North Quinte55ence | Belgian Quintuple (5 different barrel-aged varieties releasing 02/11)
- Abbey of the Holy Goats Chevre Noir | Black Saison
- Red Hare Ain’t That a Peach | Peach Berliner Weisse (Releasing 02/11)
- Southern Brewing Co. Devil’s Hopyard | IPA
- Southern Brewing Co. Maui IPA | IPA
Non-Georgia Craft Beer
- Good People Coffee Oatmeal Stout | Coffee Oatmeal Stout
- Good People IPA | IPA
- Good People Pale Ale | Porter (I lied, it’s a Pale Ale.)
- Smuttynose Cherry Short Weisse | Berliner Weisse with cherry
- Stillwater / Birra Toccalmatto Toats Gone Wild | Oat Malt Saison with Brett
- Uinta Rise & Pine | Hoppy Dark Ale
- Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout | Coffee bourbon barrel Stout
CRAFT BEER NEWS
- SB85 passes Georgia Senate 49-2
- Arches Brewing offers membership opportunities to help with expansion (Source: Arches Brewing)
- Mississippi brewery direct sales bill passes House (Source: Chandeleur Island Brewing Co.)